Success Pillar Number Two - Total Health For All Leaders Who Know How to Connect

It isn't often that someone can say they have total health in all 3-dimensions of mind, body and spirit, as Jim Rohn and Chris Widener describe in their book the Twelve Pillars. At the time of this writing, I feel extremely blessed to say I have exactly that in all areas of my life. This is not to boast in any way, it is to merely give gratitude to God for helping me see how important it is to successfully connect all 3 dimensions. There was a time when I didn't have any of them working properly in my life.

Success Pillar Number Two - Total Health

May I tell you a story before we begin with this Pillar?

When I first began my journey into the entrepreneurial world my health was horrible, my mind was terrible and my spiritual life was moving quickly toward the toilet. You may know my story by now, but just a very quick recap;

  • months and months of brain seizures
  • couldn't carry an adult conversation without talking backwards or stuttering while trying to speak
  • I felt complete discouragement, completely empty - as if living with some curse.

I could often sense the onset of a seizure, which was a blessing because it enabled me to alert someone to explain what to do until it was over. Sometimes it lasted minutes, and other times it felt like hours, but regardless of how long they lasted it often took days for me to recover.

Any one who knows me can tell you I enjoy life with lots of energy but when I was completely spent in all 3 dimensions, I'd sleep for hours afterward. Although healing was happening slowly over time, it wasn't fast enough for me in my weakened state.

I went to bed one night and angrily said to God, "Enough is enough! If something doesn't change soon then I don't want to wake up tomorrow morning!"

Now in my heart I wasn't willing to give up, nor was I having suicidal thoughts, its just that I was utterly exhausted from living with such a terrible mind, body and spirit.

What I find interesting is that I had to have a spiritual experience in order to live joy-filled again.

The next morning I awoke and the sun was shining so brightly through the window it was almost blinding. When I sat up in bed I did it slowly as I normally would, trying to avoid the severity of pain, but there was no pain. "Am I dreaming?"

The pain (was in all 3 dimensions) after all and it had become my best friend over those 6 months. I moved my neck and head around to be sure. YUP! It was quite real. I felt nothing, no pain whatsoever for the first time in 6 months. As I write these words I have goose bumps recalling that experience and the awesome feeling of new life, new spirit and even a new body come back to me. It was a complete head/heart, 3-dimensional connection.

As I write this I'm realizing it truly could have gone the other way, I could still be asleep right now. Hmmm...I'm glad I woke up so I could share my life and these life changing principles with you.:)

From there I began studying whatever I could get my hands on with a thirst that was unquenchable. I learned from Jesus, Mother Theresa, Jim Rohn, Chris Widener, Denis Waitly, Alex Mandossian and many more. I educated myself and prayed so much that I neglected my physical health for many months.

Once I started going to the YMCA I was able to get my physical body in order but it took a long time.

Can someone please tell me why it only takes 1 single week to get out of shape but 3 months to get back into it?

Patience is a virtue my grandma always said - now I realize that it also equals trust.

Back to Pillar Two...Total Health

1. YOUR SPIRIT: If you look for health within your spirit, your mind and body can handle whatever is thrown at it, like wearing a suit of armor. This is the reason I put spirit first.

Remark: Jim Rohn made a statement that if a person gets so spiritual that they are no earthly good then what sense will that make? I couldn't agree more. Don't preach to me, just show me and I'll want to follow you.

2. YOUR MIND: My car, my kitchen, walking the dog, running on the treadmill, going on road trips, these are all examples of where I take my personal university courses daily. You don't necessarily need to buy products to get started, just google what you are looking for and read articles like this one to set you on a path.

Eventually you'll want to learn from a mentor who has the experience and wisdom you deserve to acquire, in whatever field you want to be in, so I strongly encourage you to get involved with their products or seminars to learn and network with other like-minded people.

Remark: Someone recently thought I'd have at least one PhD in the Social Science field. Sorry! I never went to college, but I did work at one for many years in the Vice President's and the President's office as their assistant. Does that count?

Truth be told my sense of self worth was so low from being called "stupid idiot" as a kid that I never felt worthy of going to college. I was swallowed up by self pity and that ugly victim-ish mentality for years.

I'm delighted to report that my life is so blessed just as I am, and I believe I could easily get any number of degrees I wanted, but why? I'm perfectly happy creating a wonderful successful life learning from so many wonderful people without degrees themselves. Their character and actions represented in me are my degrees.

3. YOUR BODY: Love the YMCA! I recommend it to anyone but if you can't pay the monthly fee then walk or run for at least 20 mins a day and lift books or bottles of water while at your desk. Getting in to shape takes hard work and dedication but its SO worth it.

Remark: If you work out so much that your muscles are bulging - but your head is empty - you'll get plenty of looks from a distance that make you feel good for the moment. You might even find a partner for a time, but will you be able to have self worth enough to carry on conversations that are intelligent? Your self worth is just as important to someone else as your good looks and big muscles. Exercise to keep a healthy body in moderation.

If you look for balance you may not find it, so choose to look for total health instead by starting a little bit in all three areas. Most people focus on one only and neglect the rest. It's okay to skip one now and then but if you work on growing all 3 in your garden, just imagine the bountiful harvest you'll see a few months down the road.

One more thought: Celebrate every small victory along the way.:-)

As always, I would love to know your thoughts in the comment box below, and going one step further to learn it, live it and share it with others in your life.